Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Dwarft Fortress V: The Ageless Realms, Part X

1st Slate, 1052, Mid-Spring: A Year Already

A year has gone by and you can hardly recognize the fortress from when it started out. We went from 7 dwarves to 5, to 15 and then 14, and now with this latest influx of migrants we are 36.

What am I going to do with all these mouths to feed?

The obvious solution is to draft an army and wage war on the Troglodytes, but I feel that it wouldn't go in our favor and there might be a lot of blood. Arena matches are a definite must, as soon as I upgrade the arena a bit. I guess, for now, I'll keep them busy cleaning the rocks out of the fortress...

Current projects going on right now: building a farm and organizing the hospital.

The hospital is already doing well. Danielle is our resident Chief Medical Dwarf, despite having absolutely no relevant experience whatsoever.

Despite her inexperience, she patched up Kevin quite nicely! His agility is somewhat impaired because of the broken shoulder, but she set things straight! Hopefully, when it comes time for surgery, she'll be just as capable.

The farm project is nearly complete!

Here's what it looks like so far:

The grates will open up onto the caves below, where the water will drain. The tunnel at the top leads to the river, currently frozen, and just to make sure the timing isn't off I haven't built a channel to it yet. I've lost too many fortresses to flooding. We've come too far with this one to have that happen here, too.

Future projects: build a crushing trap for the arena to pulverize surviving monsters, and then build a lure room down below to trap monsters in cages and have them moved to the arena.

I guess I should think about getting some weapons for these dwarves...

No comments: