Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Dwarft Fortress V: The Ageless Realms, Part VIII

26th Timber, 1051, Late-Autumn: Oh God, The Blood!

Well, we have one less mouth to feed, at least. While he was out... doing things in the underground caverns, Eric was set upon by some Troglodytes and torn to shreds. Honestly, I have no idea what he was doing down there. My guess was he sought out the Troglodytes to avenge the fallen, but they got the better of him.


So naturally, I sealed the doors and left his body there to rot. We'll build a tomb and get his body once it's complete, but until then, I ain't risking no more dwarves!

Actually, his death wasn't for nothing. While he was down there, he found something... strange. An ancient passageway that led down...


Where could it possibly lead? As far as I can tell, it goes down several levels but I haven't been able to adventure down there just yet. We'll train up a military before trying anything too crazy.

So while all that was happening, we managed to get a Troglodyte in a cage and stick it with the rest. All the dying has distracted me from the pit arena, but I'll get back to that fairly quickly.

Merchants arrived from abroad. I managed to buy some cheese from them and ask them to bring more booze next time around. I also tried to sell them one of the Blind Cave Ogres I'd captured in one of my cages, but when Dee tried to move it it escaped!

I quickly recalled the squad that had earlier pummeled that Giant Olm to death to do the same thing to this Ogre. It was a bloody fight! Even the dogs got in on it!

It was brutal! But in the end, we managed to get it. First, we beat it to unconsciouness, then kept pounding away until there was nothing left.

I almost felt bad for it, but with Eric's recent death still fresh in our minds, our tiny stout fists smashed away with the fury of the mountain itself.

Then we had some cheese.

Oh, and the river's frozen again.

No comments: