Tuesday, August 10, 2010

SPINEMACHINE - Bob Ross and the Awesomest Plan

Alright, time to start this thing! Now the first thing to do when starting any DF game is to set the mood. Yes yes, chopping down trees, building doors and trying to drown your dwarves is important too but first:



Hell yeah, that's how we roll here in Spinemachine. With some Bob Ross blasting in the background, we can get to work!

Simple enough start. I set Daniel Boone and Americuh to chop down trees, MC Hammer and Toothless McGee started mining us a flat, while the Rabbi and Meatcurtains gathered up stone and built a mason's workshop. Irish just kinda stood there until I told him to go pick some fucking plants or something.

First thing of note is that the place I picked is full of precious gemstones. WOOT! After an hour or so of work, we have some basics down:



Sweet! Except there's one problem: I'm farther away from the stream than I'd originally planned... and in DF 2010, you need water if you want to farm. Chanelling water down into underground farms is a tricky business. Hell, it flooded half my fortress the last time I tried it... but I think that I wasn't thinking BIG enough. I've learned from my mistakes, oh yes, and so I've devised a plan to build a gigantic underground reservoir using nearby ponds. BEHOLD!



In short, I will funnel the water from the ponds into a huge reservoir. Whenever the ponds refill with rain, I'll just hit a switch and dump it all into the reservoir. That way, we can maximize the amount of water we get from rainfall. I'll also build a channel to funnel some of that water to fuel underground farms.

My plan is to eventually have enough water to build this awesome underground river that will go through the entire fortress.

It can't go wrong!!!

No comments: